Cherrytree Records and Interscope Records are pleased to announce that they have signed seven-piece sibling band The Hunts to their roster and have released the group’s major-label debut EP, Life Was Simple. In addition, a video for The Hunts’ current single, “Make This Leap,” premieres today.
The pastoral video for “Make This Leap” was shot in The Hunts’ hometown of Chesapeake, Virginia, with a few moments filmed on the family’s actual property. It was directed by Michelle Peerali, who has collaborated with such artists as The Kills, The Cult, The Black Keys, Pyyramids, and Moby. The idyllic location settings beautifully capture the band’s harmony-laced take on alt-folk that’s both breathtaking and sweetly ethereal.
The Hunts have been playing music together almost their entire lives. Ranging from ages 16 to 24, twin sisters Jenni and Jessi and their five brothers Josh, Jonathan, Jordan, Justin, and Jamison all learned to sing and play violin as young kids and spent much of their childhood performing throughout their community. After teaching themselves to play instruments like mandolin, piano, ukulele, banjo, and drums, The Hunts began experimenting with songwriting and soon brought to life a batch of songs that reveal their sophisticated sense of melody and dreamy innocence.
Lead single “Make This Leap” is a lilting piece of indie- folk built on layered harmonies, intricately textured acoustic instrumentation, and lyrics that gracefully shift from melancholy to triumphant. With Josh and Jenni taking turns as lead vocalist, The Hunts sustain that dynamic throughout Life Was Simple, often turning their shared memories into songs that capture heartache and wonder with a wide-eyed but wistful elegance.
“Growing up the way we did, we had to learn to make do with what we had, so the stories from that time are incredibly special to us,” says Jessi, who explains that all seven members of The Hunts write each song together. “A lot of the time we write about what we remember from being young — the things we went through that have drawn us together and stuck in our hearts and really made us who we are.”
The Hunts will hit the road for a U.S. tour in September. All upcoming dates are below.
- 08/23 Wilson, NC Barton College
- 08/29 Norfolk, VA Virginia Wesleyan College–Batten Lawn
- 09/09 Vienna, VA Jammin’ Java
- 09/10 Pittsburgh, PA Hard Rock Cafe
- 09/12 South Burlington, VT Higher Ground Showcase Lounge
- 09/13 Boston, MA Cafe 939 at Berklee
- 09/15 New York, NY Rockwood Music Hall Stage 2
- 09/16 Malvern, PA General Wayne E.S.
- 09/17 Philadelphia, PA World Cafe Live
- 09/17 Malvern, PA Charlestown E.S.
- 09/18 Carrboro, NC Cat’s Cradle – Back Room
- 09/19 Highland Springs, VA Henrico Theatre
- 09/20 Rock Island, IL Centennial Hall–Augustana College
- 09/21 Chicago, IL Schubas Tavern
- 09/23 Columbus, OH Rumba Cafe
- 09/24 Nashville, TN High Watt
- 09/26 Houston, TX McGonigel’s Mucky Duck
- 09/27 Dallas, TX Index Festival
- 09/29 Athens, GA Georgia Theatre–Rooftop
- 09/30 Atlanta, GA Vinyl
- 10/03 Georgetown, TX The Cove/Southwestern
- 10/04 Austin, TX Austin City Limits
- 10/08 Pineville, LA Louisana College-outdoor open field
- 10/10 Montgomery, AL Faulkner University
- 10/11 Roswell, GA Roswell Cultural Arts Center
- 10/17 Madison, WI Capitol Theater
- 10/18 Chippewa Falls, WI Heyde Center for the Arts
- 10/19 Spirit Lake, IA Sami Bedell Center for the Performing Arts
- 10/22 Fulton, MO William Woods University
- 10/24 Brussels, WI Southern Door Community Auditorium
- 10/26 Batavia, IL Batavia Fine Arts Centre
- 10/28 Searcy, AR Harding University
- 11/07 Henderson, TN Freed-Hardeman University
- 11/08 Memphis, TN Buckman Performing Arts Center
2 responses to “Check ‘Em Out: The Hunts”
loved this! you’ve definitely earned a follow from me 😀
Awesome! High fives and thanks a bunch, Avantika. 😀